Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Using Pens & Markers

How do you use your pens and markers in your crafting? Do you use them in your cutting machine or just as stand alone tools?I love using mine with my cutting machines.

I wanted to make a parrot embellishment for my vacation page. I didn't have the color papers that I needed so I found a piece of free artwork online, pixel traced it in Make The Cut program and cut it out. I used my markers to fill in the parrot with the colors from the photo.


 Universal Studios Orlando - Jimmy Buffetts Margaritaville

This is the parrot embellishment

Small and Large Parrot embellishments on page

I used white cardstock to draw out the top layer, inserted a marker in cutting machine. Then I went back and cut the layer and filled it in with markers.

Here are some suggestions:
  • There are pen and marker holders made for your cutting machine. Remove your cutting blade and insert the holder with your pen or marker. Now you are ready to let your machine do the drawing of your file before you cut it out. 
  •  Let your machine draw your title or do your writing for you. Some people don't like their own handwriting. There are single line fonts available online. 
  • Use more than one color to draw your title. Instead of cutting out letters, I chose a font and then I make 2 or 3 sizes for the lettering. Draw the smallest size first. Change out your color and do the next layer in a larger size in another color, same for the 3rd layer. You can add lots of dimension to your title without using layers of paper on our project. 
  • Metallic pens and markers give a hint of sparkle to your cuts. They really give a nice especially on holiday files. 
  • If you are stamping and don't have a stamp pad in a certain color, swipe your marker over a sponge and add your color.  
Get out those forgotten pens and markers and let your machine do the drawing for you.

Happy Crafting!

1 comment:

Sandy Palmer said...

wow, this is so creative how you came up with that parrot! Wonderful layout! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...